Friday, January 28, 2011

Trying To Fit an Ocean Into a Drop of Water

There are some of us who need “productivity coaching” and others who need “slow down coaching.”  These days, I fall into the latter category.  It can be equally as challenging to not be able to focus and get stuff done, as it is to not be able to stop 'doing' and getting stuff done (can you relate?).

Before I go on, it might be helpful to set the stage again on the qualities of left and right brain consciousness (see some of the first entries for more on this).  

Right brain consciousness is the home of our higher mind.  It serves as a gateway to infinite possibility, potential, and co-creation with “life-force energy.”  Big stuff.  It’s where our best ideas and creative solutions come from.  It’s the gateway to meaning, purpose and connection to something greater – to the “whole.” 

The left brain takes those great ideas and possibilities and turns them into form.  Obviously, we need both hemispheres working together.  However, the predominant habit is to be left brain dominant – to stay in the linear “doing” mode – especially when we’re stressed or have a LOT to do.

What I’ve noticed is that as I strengthen access to my right brain, I feel like I’m in a fast flowing river.  I’m downloading lots of great ideas and information from a wide reservoir of infinite potential.  Sounds pretty cool, right?

But what can happen is that the left brain takes all that great information and tries to contain it.  It wants to GET IT DONE.  It wants to control it, solve it, analyze it, keep it on track – almost obsessively.  Imagine trying to squeeze an ocean into a drop of water.  

The result?  Sleepless nights, feeling overwhelmed, and the “not enough time to do it all feeling.”  It feels like an internal pressure, or a “crack the whip” type of inner voice whose job is to keep us on task.  Generally speaking, it’s the “overload” place we go to because the left brain just can’t contain the vastness that the right brain can dish out.

I’ve been able to use my left brain as a helpful assistant to the right brain idea generator in some good ways like making lists, organizing projects, getting support, delegating, and taking action.  And that’s all good. 

But…here’s the catch.  It’s not that fun.  It’s tiring.  It’s never-ending.  I notice that I wake up in the morning and think, “What do I need to get done today?” as a motivator to get going.  I end the day thinking, “What did I get done today, and what do I need to get done tomorrow?”  Ouch!  What a barrel of laughs that is. 

So here’s my commitment (and why I’m doing this experiment in the first place):

I choose to live in right brain directed consciousness (not the other way around – where my left brain ends up habitually running the show). 

How can I step into this even more without short-circuiting?

Here some ideas that came to me this morning:

When I wake up in the morning, instead of revolving my energy around what I need to get done today, or what I got done yesterday, or what needs to get done next week (you get the idea), I’m going to focus my thoughts on things like:
  • I wonder what will amaze me today?
  • I wonder what I’ll learn today?
  • What friend can I connect with this week?
  • Do I have some music, dance and play in my life this week?
  • What fun things do I have on my schedule?
  • I will connect with nature and beauty every day (in small ways)
Yes, I’ll still get a lot done, ‘cause that’s fun too (and necessary right now).  But I’m not going to let it run my life.  I’ve done it that way for too long.  And there are consequences.  I've learned that it’s life-taking rather than life-giving.  It’s not sustainable.

I’ll keep you posted on how it’s going.  Try it with me…and let us know how it’s going!

Bernadette

Inspired Leadership.Thriving Productivity.Whole Mind Solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment